- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 lbs asparagus
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 5 cups chicken broth
- Leaves of 2 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1 Tbsp dry vermouth
- A squeeze of fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- Cut tips from 12 asparagus 1 1/2 inches from top and halve tips lengthwise if thick.
- Reserve for garnish. Cut stalks and all remaining asparagus into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook onion in butter in a 4 or 6-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring, until softened.
- Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes.
- Add 5 cups broth, thyme, and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- While soup simmers, cook reserved asparagus tips in boiling salted water until just tender, 3 to 4 minutes, then drain.
- Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth. If you want a very creamy texture, you can put the purée through a food mill or press it through a sieve.
- Transfer to a bowl (use caution when blending hot liquids), and return to pan.
- Stir in cream.
- Stir in vermouth and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with asparagus tips.
NotesMy husband loves asparagus but is not a huge fan of soup....lets see if this will entice him.
I stumbled onto this recipe on elise.com.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and Appetisers
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
The Real Deal Apple Recipes.See More
Whey Bean Salad
Boo CupsSee More