- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 large or 3 medium baking potatoes, baked or microwaved
- Cooked and crumbled bacon (optional)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter or margarine
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 can (14.5 fl. oz.) chicken broth
- 1 can (12 fl. oz.)Evaporated Milk
- Shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- Sliced green onions (optional)
- MELT butter in large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, for 1 to 2 minutes or until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and evaporated milk. Scoop potato pulp from 1 potato (reserve potato skin); mash. Add pulp to broth mixture. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil. Dice remaining potato skin and potato(es); add to soup. Heat through. Season with salt and ground black pepper. Top each serving with bacon, cheese and green onions, if desired.
- VARIATION: For a different twist to this recipe, omit the bacon, cheddar cheese and green onions. Cook 2 tablespoons shredded carrot with the onion and add 1/4 teaspoon dried dill to the soup when adding the broth. Proceed as above.