- Cooking Time: 30
- Servings: 4 to 6
- Preparation Time: 15
BackstoryThis is a Sunset Magazine reader's recipe which I've modified. It's wonderfully satisfying and fresh.
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 lbs. zucchini, sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, washed and stemmed
- 2 Tbsp. whole greek yogurt, sour cream or creme fraiche + more for garnish
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp. chili powder + more for garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook another 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth and basil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or in a blender, in batches.
- Add 2 Tbsp. yogurt/or other and chili powder.
- Season with salt to taste.
- Reheat gently.
- Divide soup among bowls and garnish each with some yogurt/or other, and a sprinkle of chili powder.
- per 1 1/2-cup serving: 101 cal., 45% (45 cal.) from fat; 5.5 g protein; 5 g fat (1.7 g sat.); 11 g carbo. (2.5 g fiber); 440 mg sodium; 4.7 mg chol.