- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6 - 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour
- 1 tblsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 8 small apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 egg yolks
- 1-16 oz carton of sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp. cinnnamon
- 2 tblsp. Caramel ice-cream topping
- Mix 1 1/2 cup flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Add shortening and cream all ingredients together with a fork.
- Add boiling water and stir.
- Add enough additional flour to mixture to create pie dough consistency. Roll out and place in pie pan.
- Mix egg yolks, sour cream, sugar, flour and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add apples and mix together.
- Pour into prepared pie pan. Place pie pan on baking sheet and put in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Put caramel ice-cream topping in the micowave for a few seconds – enough to make it soft.
- Drizzle over pie.
- Completely cool and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until cold.
- TIP: If the crust starts to get too dark, cover the crust edges with foil.
NotesIt was fall and I was craving a caramel apple. My husband loves apple pie. I love to experiment with food, so this recipe is the result.
Cooking with Sabra
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Decadent Desserts Made FromSee More
Gluten Free Gingerbread Cupcake with Browned Butter Butter Cream Frosting
Cinnamon Blueberry Crumble
Mrs. Jackson’s Grits – “Selma”See More