- Cooking Time: 1 hour
- Servings: 6 - 8
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 to 2 cups flour
- 1 tblsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 8 small apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 4 egg yolks
- 1-16 oz carton of sour cream
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1 tsp. cinnnamon
- 2 tblsp. Caramel ice-cream topping
- Mix 1 1/2 cup flour, sugar and salt together in a large bowl. Add shortening and cream all ingredients together with a fork.
- Add boiling water and stir.
- Add enough additional flour to mixture to create pie dough consistency. Roll out and place in pie pan.
- Mix egg yolks, sour cream, sugar, flour and cinnamon together in a large bowl. Add apples and mix together.
- Pour into prepared pie pan. Place pie pan on baking sheet and put in a preheated 375 degree oven for approximately 1 hour.
- Put caramel ice-cream topping in the micowave for a few seconds – enough to make it soft.
- Drizzle over pie.
- Completely cool and place in refrigerator for at least 2 hours or until cold.
- TIP: If the crust starts to get too dark, cover the crust edges with foil.
NotesIt was fall and I was craving a caramel apple. My husband loves apple pie. I love to experiment with food, so this recipe is the result.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Classic Chocolate Recipes ElevatedSee More
Peppermint Crumb Squares
Chicken with Green Olives
Festive Candied YamsSee More