- Cooking Time: 10
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese preferably old cheddar for a stronger taste)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly add in the half-and-half cream and whisk until the sauce is thick.
- Add in the yolk and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add in the cheese, and stir over low heat until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Pour the sauce into a bowl.
- Cover the top of the sauce with buttered wax paper. Heat again before serving or refrigerate. Makes 1 3/4 cups
NotesI have looked far and wide for the perfect cheese sauce to serve over steamed vegetables. I found this one on recipezaar.com and absolutely love it. Smooth, creamy, and perfect.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' RecipesSee More
Zucchini Spice Cake with Lemon Sauce
Rob’s Sugar Cookies modified from allrecipes.com
Stromboli WrapsSee More