- Cooking Time: 10
- Preparation Time: 5
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- 1 Tbsp. flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. white pepper
- 1/8 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 cup finely grated cheddar cheese preferably old cheddar for a stronger taste)
- Melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Add in flour and whisk for 1 minute. Slowly add in the half-and-half cream and whisk until the sauce is thick.
- Add in the yolk and cook over low heat for 2 minutes. Add in the cheese, and stir over low heat until melted.
- Remove the sauce from the heat and season with salt, white pepper and nutmeg. Pour the sauce into a bowl.
- Cover the top of the sauce with buttered wax paper. Heat again before serving or refrigerate. Makes 1 3/4 cups
NotesI have looked far and wide for the perfect cheese sauce to serve over steamed vegetables. I found this one on recipezaar.com and absolutely love it. Smooth, creamy, and perfect.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
20+ Pumpkin Recipes!
Camp Nubar Baking Class
Pie Among Friends: Recipes from the Second Annual South Side Pie ChallengeSee More
Corn Pocket Rolls
Krrispy's Beer Bacon BreadSee More