- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 can coconut milk
- About 2 C whole milk – you should have 4 C liquid between the milk and the coconut milk
- 2/3 uncooked short grain white rice
- A generous 1/4 C sugar
- 2 T unsalted butter
- 1 cinnamon stick
- ½ vanilla bean, split and scraped (or 1 t vanilla extract, added at the end)
- pinch of salt
- ¾ C milk
- 2 large egg yolks
- Combine first 8 ingredients in large heavy saucepan.
- Simmer over medium-low heat until rice is tender and mixture is scrumptiously creamy, stirring very frequently – about 1 hour.
- Remove from heat and discard cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean.
- During the last fifteen minutes of cooking, pour remaining ¾ C milk into heavy small saucepan and bring to simmer.
- Whisk egg yolks in medium bowl to blend.
- Gradually whisk hot milk into beaten yolks, then return to saucepan.
- Stir over medium heat until mixture reaches 160 degrees F, about 2 minutes (don’t boil!).
- Stir egg mixture into rice mixture. Pudding will thicken more as it cools.
- Transfer pudding to a non-metal bowl.
- Cover and chill if you’re into that sort of thing; otherwise, eat it while deliciously warm and possibly mixed with nutmeg, rum-soaked raisins, or anything else that catches your fancy
NotesI was craving rice pudding to de-stress between papers, and I had some coconut milk that was just begging to be used in it. I failed to find a satisfactory recipe anywhere - I want one that used raw rice you cooked in milk and coconut milk to make the pudding, and nothing seemed to fit the bill. So, I improvised, and was delighted to end up with some of the creamiest, richest, most delicious rice pudding I'd ever tried. It was serious business - we all wanted seconds, but ended up physically incapable of consuming more after one bowl. The mantra here? Apply sparingly as needed (or liberally in times of dire need).
Life on a Beach Easy Seafood Cooking at Home
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Have Your Cake and EAT IT TOO! Allergen-Free Desserts Everyone Can EnjoySee More
Vanilla Caramel Nut Ice Cream Pudding (with salted caramel and hot chocolate sauce)
Candy Cane Fudge
Pancit PalabokSee More