- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 35
- Soft Custard
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup light rum
- 1 or 2 drops yellow food color, if desired
- Ground nutmeg
- In 2-quart heavy saucepan, stir eggs, granulated sugar and salt until well mixed.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool.
- (If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.)
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Just before serving, in chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
- Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream, the rum and food color into custard.
- Pour custard mixture into small punch bowl.
- Drop remaining whipped cream in mounds onto custard mixture.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
- Did You Know? Rum is the most common spirit found in eggnog recipes, but whiskey and brandy have also played a part in this traditional holiday drink.
- Substitutions: To substitute for the rum, use 2 tablespoons rum extract and 1/3 cup milk instead.
- Nutmeg is the classic spice used in eggnog, but you can sprinkle with cinnamon instead, if you prefer.
NotesA rich holiday classic made even better with a soft custard base.
Prep Time:35 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 35 min
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gonzalez Family~Established 8.8.14
My Family Cookbook
Cooking On The Weekends - For The Love of Food!See More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More