- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10
- Preparation Time: 35
- Soft Custard
- 3 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- Dash salt
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup light rum
- 1 or 2 drops yellow food color, if desired
- Ground nutmeg
- In 2-quart heavy saucepan, stir eggs, granulated sugar and salt until well mixed.
- Gradually stir in milk.
- Cook over medium heat 10 to 15 minutes, stirring constantly, until mixture just coats a metal spoon; remove from heat.
- Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Place saucepan in cold water until custard is cool.
- (If custard curdles, beat vigorously with hand beater until smooth.)
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
- Just before serving, in chilled medium bowl, beat whipping cream, powdered sugar and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla with electric mixer on high speed until stiff.
- Gently stir 1 cup of the whipped cream, the rum and food color into custard.
- Pour custard mixture into small punch bowl.
- Drop remaining whipped cream in mounds onto custard mixture.
- Sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve immediately.
- Store in refrigerator up to 2 days.
- Did You Know? Rum is the most common spirit found in eggnog recipes, but whiskey and brandy have also played a part in this traditional holiday drink.
- Substitutions: To substitute for the rum, use 2 tablespoons rum extract and 1/3 cup milk instead.
- Nutmeg is the classic spice used in eggnog, but you can sprinkle with cinnamon instead, if you prefer.
NotesA rich holiday classic made even better with a soft custard base.
Prep Time:35 min
Start to Finish:2 hr 35 min
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Let Food Be Thy Medicine ... and Medicine Be Thy Food
Watt's Cooking in PA?
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette StarbuckSee More
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Fudgy Caramel DelightSee More