- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryAdapted from Lemon Zest by Lori Longbotham.
- 1 cup heavy cream (35% cream)
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 pound dried fettuccine
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the cream in a small pot until it's just about to come to a boil. Remove from the heat and add the lemon zest. Set aside for 10 minutes. Drain the cream through a sieve to remove the lemon zest.
- Put a large pot of water to boil; once it comes to a boil add the fettuccine and cook according to package directions.
- As the fettuccine cook, melt the butter in a large pan (large enough to accommodate the fettuccine). Add the lemon cream and bring to a boil; add a bit of salt and pepper (taste to make sure that it's to your liking; add more salt if necessary). Lower the heat and let the cream simmer; it will reduce slightly and thicken.
- As soon as the fettuccine are cooked add them to the cream mixture. Immediately add the Parmigiano Reggiano and toss gently until all the fettuccine are covered in the sauce. As you toss the pasta, the melting Parmigiano and the starch from the pasta will combine to thicken the sauce further. Serve the pasta immediately with additional Parmigiano.