- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is my own macaroni salad. I did not get it from my mother or my grandmother and I did not get it out of a book or off the internet. It is not Amish, Cajun, Mexican or any other description of the various macaroni salads that are posted on the internet. It is my own made up salad. It is designed after my own creamy potato salad. The dressing is mostly the same, but there are a few other ingredients in this salad that is not in my potato salad.
Bacon bit tip: Partially freeze your package of bacon. Use a sharp knife and cut the frozen bacon into long strips about 1/4 inch wide. Turn the bacon and cut the strips into pieces also about 1/4 in wide. You now have perfect raw bacon pieces to fast fry. No need to separate. They will separate during cooking. Perfect bacon bits.
- 1 lb large elbow macaroni, cooked to desired tenderness
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced celery
- 1/4 cup finely diced sweet onions
- 1 small red sweet bell pepper, finely diced
- 1/4-1/2 cup sliced pimento stuffed olives
- 1 1/2 cups mayonnaise or salad dressing (I like half and half)
- 2 teaspoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup sweet pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon celery seeds
- 1 lb bacon
- Mix cooled macaroni, celery, onions, bell pepper and green olives together in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, vinegar, pickle relish, sugar, salt, pepper and celery seed, stirring well.
- Stir dressing into the macaroni mixture.
- Stir in the crumbled bacon.
- Serve chilled.