- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis is a old family favorite my mom made when I was a child. I think she got the recipe from the Ritz cracker package.
- 5 Tbs. butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 cups milk, scalded
- 1/4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pkg. (8 oz.) pasteurized process cheese spread loaf (Velveeta)
- 8 oz. elbow macaroni, slightly undercooked
- 1/3 cup crushed Ritz crackers
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole and set aside. Melt three tablespoons of the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth. Using a wire whisk, stir in milk and continue cooking until mixture comes to a boil, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute longer. Remove from heat and stir in Worcestershire sauce and red pepper. Stir in cheese until melted. Stir in cooked, drained macaroni. Spoon into prepared casserole. In a small saucepan, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Remove from heat and stir in Ritz crumbs. Sprinkle crumbs over macaroni. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and crumbs are appetizingly browned.