Creamy Mango Cheesecake
Why I Love This Recipe
Although cream cheese is expensive in Peru, I wanted a special occasion dessert that everyone would love. It was mango season and we had an abundance of inexpensive mangoes. This creamy, exotic cheesecake was the result. Once you have added the eggs, avoid over-beating the cream cheese filling. You can substitute 1/3 cup of sour cream and 1/3 cup milk for the yogurt, if desired.
Ingredients You'll Need
3 8-ounce packages cream cheese, room temperature
2/3 cup Kefir or yogurt, vanilla or plain
1 1/4 cup white sugar
4 large eggs
1 Tablespoon Key lime juice, fresh
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup unbleached flour
1 cup mango puree (see recipe below)
1 egg yolk
2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs, finely ground
2/3 cup salted butter, melted
1. Chop crackers or cookies in a blender or food processor until fine crumbs form. Add butter and pulse until combined.
2. Press buttered crumbs onto bottom and sides of 9 inch springform pan.
3. Refrigerate crust while making cheesecake batter.
4. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
5. In a large mixing bowl combine cream cheese, yogurt, sugar, lemon juice and vanilla. Using a hand mixer, beat on medium speed until combined.
6. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
7. Add flour and beat until just combined.
8. With a spatula, scrape the batter into springform mold with chilled crumb crust.
9. Combine 1 cup of mango puree and one egg yolk.
10. Spread mango puree over cheesecake. Using a spatula, swirl puree into the cheesecake batter.
11. Nestle springform pan inside a larger, rimmed baking dish. Slide into preheated oven. Pour water into large baking dish until halfway up the springform pan.
12. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes, or until middle of cheesecake jiggles just slightly when shaken. Turn off oven and leave cheesecake inside until it cools to room temperature.
13. Chill cheesecake in refrigerator at least 6 hours or overnight.
14. To serve: Slide a knife between cheesecake and springform pan. Remove sides of pan and transfer cake to a platter. Cut into 12 wedges and garnish with reserved mango puree and mango slices or fresh raspberries.
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cheesecake