- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups coarse ground polenta
- 3 cups cold milk
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, more to taste
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan (Parmigiano Reggiano is best)
- 2 TBs. unsalted butter
- Over high heat, bring the water to a boil. COmbine the polenta with the milk and salt and stir until smooth. Slowly add this mixture to the boiling water, stirring constantly. Cook, stirring often until the polenta begins to thicken. Reduce the heat to medium and continue to cook until the plenta begins to bubble and pop. Reduce the heat to low, add the Parmigiano and butter and continue to stir until the polenta begins to pull away from the sides of the pan. About ten minutes for soft polenta- 20 for firm polenta. Season to taste with salt. Serve immediately.
- You can use Gorgonzola: stir in 1 cup gorgonzola with the butter instead of Parmesan. You can add 1 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or 3/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts or both.
- You can use Cheddar: stir in 1 cup grated sharp cheddar with the butter, and some fresh parsley.
- You can use Gruyere: stir in 1 cup grated Gruyere with the butter.
NotesThis is an awesome side dish!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Lizz Delicious Cookbook Vol. 1
Cupcakes from Food Network's Cupcake Wars winner, Annette Starbuck
Christmas CookiesSee More
Surprise Birthday Cake
Citrus Pork Roast
Paula's Pecan ChickenSee More