- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 10 Med-Large Russet Potatoes
- 4 Medium Yellow Onions, Chopped
- 2-49-1/2 oz. Cans Chicken Stock
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- 2 tsp. Dried Tarragon
- 1/2 tsp. Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1/8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
- 2 Cups Shredded Medium Cheddar Cheese
- ½ Cup Cream
- Scrub Potatoes and poke with a knife tip. Microwave until they are done. Let cool. Peel them and cut into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large stockpot, put a few Tablespoons Olive Oil and heat up until almost smoking. Put in the chopped Onions and sprinkle with a nice big pinch of Kosher Salt. Stir with a wooden spoon, saute, stirring often, until the Onions are nicely browning, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the Chicken Stock over the onions, stir and turn the heat up to medium. Put in the cut up cooked Potatoes and stir well. Add the Tarragon, Freshly Ground Black Pepper and Nutmeg.
- With an immersion blender, blend the soup while it is on the stove, until it is smooth and creamy. Heat to desired eating temperature and stir in the cream. (It's really good even without the cream, if you desire)
- Put a small handful of Shredded Cheese into each soup bowl and ladle the hot soup over the top. Top with a small sprinkle of Tarragon.
- Serve with a nice green salad and good, sourdough bread, toasted!
NotesEveryone loves this soup! It goes together pretty fast and it freezes really well. I made this tonight for my son who just had his tonsils out. He can only eat "smooth" foods and was bored with his Jello. He loved it! This also works if you have 4-5 Cups leftover mashed potatoes. Don't leave out the Tarragon, as it is key!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Brownies: Baking Outside the Box
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew JudsonSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Brownies
Peanut Butter Chocolate and Banana Chip Cookies
NO-BAKE CHEESECAKE PETIT FOURSSee More