CREAMY POTATO SOUP WITH CHIVES
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry or white wine
- 2 large russet potatoes (about 1 1/2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or low-fat vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon table salt
- ground white pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh chives
- shredded Cheddar cheese
- bacon bits
Heat butter or oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion; sauté until golden, about 5 minutes. Add sherry and potato; stir-cook until sherry evaporates, about 30 seconds.
Add stock, salt and pepper to taste to saucepan; bring to boil. Reduce heat to simmer; cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.
Ladle potato mixture into blender. Add 1 cup milk; blend until very smooth. Return soup to saucepan; cook over low heat until warmed through. If soup is too thick, stir in additional milk to thin consistency. Adjust seasonings. (Soup can be refrigerated for 3 days and reheated just before serving.)
Ladle soup into individual bowls. Garnish with minced chives, cheese and bacon and serve immediately.
from Cook’s Illustrated