- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryThis soup is so easy and delicious. It's good for you, too! You could easily modify the recipe to make it vegetarian or vegan. I found it in Everyday Food magazine.
Per serving: 200 calories; 17.3 grams fat; 3.7 grams protein; 9.5 grams carbohydrates; 2.4 grams fiber
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 rib celery, chopped
- 1 small carrot, chopped
- 1/2 small onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 3 medium red bell peppers, ribs and seeds removed, and cut into 1-inch chunks (5 cups)
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- pinch sugar
- coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons roughly chopped chives, for garnish
- 1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Add celery, carrot, onion, and garlic; cook until onion is opaque and carrot is crisp/tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Add peppers, broth, 2 cups water, and bay leaf; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and simmer until peppers are very tender, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Remove bay leaf; purée soup in batches in blender. Return to pot; add cream and sugar. Season with salt and pepper. If necessary, gently reheat before serving, and garnish with chives.
- Per serving: 200 calories; 17.3 grams fat; 3.7 grams protein; 9.5 grams carbohydrates; 2.4 grams fiber