CREAMY TOMATO SOUP - VEGAN
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided in half (can use 1/2 cup but I found it too oily tasting)
- 2 TB canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 small onion, finely sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 thick slices French bread, crusts removed, torn into rough 1/2" to 1" pieces
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice
- 2 c water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add garlic, onions, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
Cook, stirring frequently until onions are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
Add bread and tomatoes. Roughly mash tomatoes with a whisk or a potato masher.
Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
(I season with salt at this point though you can do it at the end.)
***YOU MAY WANT TO LET IT COOL A BIT. OTHERWISE TAKE GREAT CARE AS THE HOT SOUP CAN SHOOT UP OUTUT OF THE TOP WHEN YOU START THE BLENDER. PLACE A KITCHEN TOWEL OVER THE TOP OF BLENDR TO BE SAFE.
Transfer half of soup to a blender.
Blend soup, starting at low speed and gradually increasing to high. With blender running on high, gradually trickle in half of remaining olive oil.
Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining half of soup and olive oil.
Season soup to taste with salt and pepper if you have not already.
Service with chunks of French bread for dipping.