- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time: 15
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided in half (can use 1/2 cup but I found it too oily tasting)
- 2 TB canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, grated or minced
- 1 small onion, finely sliced (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 thick slices French bread, crusts removed, torn into rough 1/2" to 1" pieces
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes packed in juice
- 2 c water
- Sea salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 2 tablespoons canola oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat until shimmering. Add garlic, onions, oregano, and red pepper flakes.
- Cook, stirring frequently until onions are softened but not browned, about 4 minutes.
- Add bread and tomatoes. Roughly mash tomatoes with a whisk or a potato masher.
- Add 2 cups water. Bring to a boil over high heat, then reduce to a simmer. Cook for 5 minutes.
- (I season with salt at this point though you can do it at the end.)
- ***YOU MAY WANT TO LET IT COOL A BIT. OTHERWISE TAKE GREAT CARE AS THE HOT SOUP CAN SHOOT UP OUTUT OF THE TOP WHEN YOU START THE BLENDER. PLACE A KITCHEN TOWEL OVER THE TOP OF BLENDR TO BE SAFE.
- Transfer half of soup to a blender.
- Blend soup, starting at low speed and gradually increasing to high. With blender running on high, gradually trickle in half of remaining olive oil.
- Transfer to a large bowl and repeat with remaining half of soup and olive oil.
- Season soup to taste with salt and pepper if you have not already.
- Service with chunks of French bread for dipping.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
"Appreciation" The Complimentary "Clean Eats" Vol.3
Just Desserts - Top 20 from the Culinary Alchemy Blog
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome RecipesSee More
Cordelia's Pound CakeSee More