- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 4 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
- 12 oz heavy cream
- 1 (14 oz) can sweetened condensed milk (we love Eagle Brand!)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- Whole milk/Cream
- Cream eggs, yolk, and sugars using a mixer. Add in the evaporated milk, cream, and condensed milk one at a time until well combined. Pour the mixture into the ice cream container, add whole milk up to the fill-line (typically about 2/3 full), and cover with the lid.
- Prepare your ice cream maker according to directions (layering the ice and rock salt). Remove the lid and insert the dasher at the last possible moment (doing this prevents ice or salt from getting into the mixture while you're setting up the ice cream maker). Operate the ice cream maker according to directions.
- Homemade ice cream is very soft-serve straight out of the machine. You'll want to cover it tightly and put it into the freezer. If you plan on folding any goodies in after the fact, say fresh strawberries (again, another story), reserve a couple of cups into a smaller bowl before putting into the freezer. The ice cream will harden completely in about 3 1/2 hours - I'd call it perfect in 2 1/2!
NotesNothing is better than sitting on the patio with a bowl of rich and creamy homemade vanilla ice cream!