- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 300mL double cream
- 200mL milk
- 100g caster sugar
- 8 egg yolks
- 2 vanilla beans, split lengthways and seeds scraped
- 100g soft brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 100 degrees C.
- Mix the cream, milk, caster sugar, egg yolks and vanilla together till just incorporated.
- Do NOT use a whisk as having any bubbles will ruin the silky smoothness of the custard.
- Pour the custard into 4x ramekins with approx 1 cup capacity each.
- Place a folded tea towel onto the bottom of a baking tray, then place the custards on top, this will stop the bottom of the custard from overheating and causing bubbles to form in your custard.
- Fill the baking tray with boiling water till it comes halfway up the sides of the ramekins, then cover lightly with foil.
- Bake the custards in the oven for about 35 mins, or till they have just set but are still wobbly in the middle.
- Remove from the oven and place in the fridge for about 30 mins to cool down.
- Once completely cool, sprinkle a light layer of brown sugar on top and use a blowtorch or (if you’re not as obsessive as me) a preheated grill/broiler to glaze the top of each custard till the sugar is melted and turns a lovely amber colour.
- Repeat once or twice more if you want a thicker layer of caramel, then serve and sit back and listen to the sound of cracking caramel as everyone dives in ;)
NotesFrom 'My Vue' By Shannon Bennett