- Cooking Time: 45 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Preparation Time: 15-20 minutes
BackstoryThis was our Valentine's Day dessert last night! So sweet and simple, I could eat it any time.
- 2 1/2 c. sugar
- 2 c. milk
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 1 Tbls. lemon zest
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 c. water
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease 6 ramekins.
- Stir 2 c. sugar and water over high heat until sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer (Do not stir!).
- Cook until sugar turns golden and thickens (I repeat: Do not stir it!).
- Pour equal amounts of caramel into ramekins and set aside.
- Beat eggs, add all remaining ingredients and beat.
- Pour equal amounts into ramekins.
- Place ramekins into a large baking dish and fill with water until it reaches halfway up the sides of ramekins to make a water bath.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Remove and cool to room temperature.
- Chill for at least 3 hours before serving.
- To serve, run a knife lightly around the edge and invert ontp plates, garnish with lemon twist.