- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10 to 12
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lbs stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1-2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with the juice
- 8 Cups Beef Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Celery seed
- 3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2/3 cup Pearl Barley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef, and add it to the slow cooker.
- Add a touch more oil if needed and saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine, scraping up the brown bits.
- Simmer until the wine is reduced by half, about 1 minute.
- Pour it all into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, and pearl barley.
- Stir and cover, leave to cook until the beef is tender, about 6 to 7 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
NotesThis is a very hearty and filling soup, just perfect for those cold winter days!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
Adventures in Cooking
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary CookbookSee More
Honey and Walnut Wholemeal Bread
Zucchini Bread 2
The Best Potato Salad Ever!See More