- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 10 to 12
- Preparation Time:
- 3 lbs stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- Salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 cup Onions chopped
- 1 cup Carrots chopped
- 1 cup Celery diced
- 1-2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with the juice
- 8 Cups Beef Stock
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 tsp Rosemary
- 1/2 tsp Thyme
- 1/2 tsp Marjoram
- 1/2 tsp Celery seed
- 3 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 2/3 cup Pearl Barley
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the meat with salt and pepper.
- Brown the beef, and add it to the slow cooker.
- Add a touch more oil if needed and saute the onions, carrots, celery and garlic.
- Cook until the vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the wine, scraping up the brown bits.
- Simmer until the wine is reduced by half, about 1 minute.
- Pour it all into the slow cooker.
- Add the tomatoes, beef stock, bay leaves, rosemary, thyme, marjoram, celery seed, Worcestershire sauce, and pearl barley.
- Stir and cover, leave to cook until the beef is tender, about 6 to 7 hours on low or 4 to 5 hours on high.
NotesThis is a very hearty and filling soup, just perfect for those cold winter days!
Babette's Test Kitchen
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative CreationsSee More
Dark Molten Chocolate Cakes
Shrimp and Penne Pasta Salad with Pesto, Bocconcini and Cherry Tomatoes
Turkey and Heirloom Tomato Frittata with BasilSee More