- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 4-6
- Preparation Time:
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (or 2 tspn pre-purchased garlic)
- 1 lb jar tomato spaghetti sauce - choose your favorite flavor
- 8 oz fresh lasagna sheets (no boil kind)
- 1lb mozzarella cheese - grated/shredded
- 1lb ricotta cheese
- 2 oz parmesan cheese - grated/shredded
- 1/4cup milk
- 1 egg - lightly beaten
- 1 tsp oregano
- salt and pepper
- Optional other favorite herbs - depends how much is in the sauce you use.
- mushrooms - sliced and added at end of frying meat
- Fry the beef, onion and garlic in a frying pan, using a tiny amount of oil.
- Fry until slightly browned.
- Pour off any excess oil.
- Add tomato sauce and heat through.
- Meanwhile, gently combine the ricotta, milk and egg.
- Then mix in the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Retaining about 1 tbls of parmesan for later.
- Now we are ready to construct it in the crock pot.
- We found there was no need to grease the pot, but if you must - do it now.
- Using a large serving spoon or ladle, place about 1/4 of the meat mixture in the crock pot - spread evenly.
- Top this with a layer of lasagna sheets, cut to size. (See the notes below)
- Top this with 1/3 of the cheese sauce.
- Repeat steps 6, 7 and 8 once more.
- You should now have cheese sauce on top.
- Now repeat step 6, then 7 and 6 again.
- Top with remaining cheese sauce.
- Sprinkle the retained parmesan on top.
- Cook on low for 4-6 hours.
While not critical the layers should be - meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, cheese, meat, pasta, meat, cheese
To assist with cutting the lasagna sheets - use a plate the same size as the crock pot & cut around using a knife.