- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jar caramel ice cream topping pr 25
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness. Stir in 1/2 jar caramel ice cream topping or 25 unwrapped caramels.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
- I first tasted apple butter with caramel in it and LOVED it when a friend gave me a jar in a swap online. So I adapted my own crockpot apple butter to include caramel....I of course had to use the easier topping rather than unwrap all those caramels!