- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 5 1/2 pounds apples - peeled, cored and finely chopped
- 4 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 jar caramel ice cream topping pr 25
- Place the apples in a slow cooker. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, cloves and salt. Pour the mixture over the apples in the slow cooker and mix well.
- Cover and cook on high 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to low and cook 9 to 11 hours, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is thickened and dark brown.
- Uncover and continue cooking on low 1 hour. Stir with a whisk, if desired, to increase smoothness. Stir in 1/2 jar caramel ice cream topping or 25 unwrapped caramels.
- Spoon the mixture into sterile containers, cover and refrigerate or freeze.
- I first tasted apple butter with caramel in it and LOVED it when a friend gave me a jar in a swap online. So I adapted my own crockpot apple butter to include caramel....I of course had to use the easier topping rather than unwrap all those caramels!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Family and Friends Starter CookBook
Angel Acres Soup & Chili Cookbook
The Italian ExchangeSee More
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cheesecake
The Best Baked Potato SoupSee More