- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 large Boston butt pork roast -- 4-5 pounds
- 1 can Coca Cola (regular not diet)
- 4 cups water -- enough to cover meat
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1 large onion -- sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon liquid Barbecue Smoke
- Cut roast into two or three pieces. Trim the excess fat from the roast. Season the meat moderately with black pepper, chili powder, garlic powder, brown sugar, salt, Worcestershire sauce, and a bit of liquid smoke. Place the roast in the crock pot and pour the liquids in. Turn it on low and cook for 8-12 hours.
- Turn the crock pot off and remove the roast to a large bowl or platter. It will be very hot and falling apart. Dispose of the cooking liquid. After the meat has cooled enough that it can be handled, remove the fat and shred the meat with two forks. Return the meat to the crock pot. Add the barbecue sauce and stir thoroughly. Add enough sauce to cover but not cover up the meat. The sauce should be there to moisten and flavor rather than to drown it.
- Sauce: Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; simmer for 25 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add to shredded pork.
NotesThis is a pretty easy method for making pork barbecue with very little trouble and time. Make sure you do not use the diet coke as it will turn bitter if you do.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Victory ala Mode: Recipes from the First Annual South Side Pie Challenge
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Chinese Chicken Salad
Cheese Garlic Rolls
Mushroom GravySee More