- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 (15 oz.) can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 1 ½ - 2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 (10 oz) can of red enchilada sauce
- 1 can black or kidney beans
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1 32 oz. container of chicken broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 ½ tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- 6 corn tortillas
- Cooking Spray
- Garnishes (optional):
- Fat free or regular Sour cream
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Extra chopped cilantro
- Chopped green onion
- Empty can of tomatoes into crock pot and smash with potato masher. Add chicken, enchilada sauce, beans, onion, garlic, broth, water, spices and half of the chopped cilantro to the crock pot and cook on low for 6-7 hours.
- Remove chicken breasts from crock pot and shred with 2 forks. Return shredded chicken to crock pot and stir in the rest of the cilantro and allow to continue cooking on low.
- Preheat oven to 350. Using scissors or a pizza cutter, cut tortillas into strips and spread in a single layer on a large cookie sheet. Spray with cooking spray and bake for 5-10 minutes or until crispy (you may need to do this in two batches depending on the size of your oven and/or cookie sheet stash).
- Once tortilla strips are done baking, ladle soup into bowls and top with a small handful of tortilla strips and any other optional garnishes as desired.
NotesThis may not be the most authentically Mexican soup there is. But it’s darn good. And really…isn’t that all that matters?
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Breads and Pastry 101
Driscoll's Berry Desserts
MetroCooking DC 2013See More
Carmelized Banana Tart (Land O Lakes)
Betty Crocker Ooey Gooey Pumpkin Caramel Cupcakes
Chinese Chicken WingsSee More