- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 cups red wine, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced, divided
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 4 potatoes, cubed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 8 oz. sliced mushrooms, stems removed and cut in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp. dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour (optional)
- 3 tablespoons water (optional)
- Place meat, 2 cloves garlic, and 1 and 1/2 cup red wine in a container. Refrigerate for a couple hours, or overnight.
- In a large plastic bag, combine flour, salt, and pepper. In batches, add meat and shake to coat.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add stew meat, and cook until evenly browned on the outside, about 5-7 minutes. Transfer meat to the crockpot, along with the broth, carrots, celery, potatoes, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and pepper.
- In the same skillet, melt butter and saute onions and remaining garlic until softened; remove to the slow cooker.
- Pour remaining red wine into the skillet, and deglaze the pan. Add liquid to crock pot.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours. During last 30-40 minutes, stir in mushrooms.
- Stir in peas
- If stew needs thickening, mix flour and water together and pour into crockpot. Cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
NotesI usually make this on the weekend because it does require more prep than usual crockpot recipes. However, we love it! Personally I don't like tomato-y stew, but if you do, a can of diced tomatoes or paste would be a good addition.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Julie Tries ... Her Friends' Recipes
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skinSee More
Steamed trout with ginger and spring onions
Buttery Pull-Apart Bread
Ham & Cheese Roll UpsSee More