- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI have a recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup that I've made before and it was a clone from Max & Erma's restaurant! It was good but not as spicy as the restaurants! It wasn't made in a crockpot either!
We loved this soup and I'll be making it again and again! It was just the right spice level for us, the kind of spice level that will open your sinuses! It really wasn't overly spicy but it was soooo good! With a touch of sour cream, shredded cheese and the crunch of tortilla strips, just took the soup over the top! I want to add that the more tortilla strips you use, the better!
A funny thing happened while I was getting everything ready to go in the crockpot! I have never eaten or used a serrano pepper in my cooking adventures! The serrano pepper was the last thing I cleaned and diced for the crockpot! All is well, right? NO! I was getting a few crackers and pepperoni slices to snack on and I ate 2 or 3 and all of a sudden my lips were on fire! :) Dummy me! I then remembered the tip of using gloves when working with peppers like that! I'll remember from now on!
- 1½ pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thawed but not cooked
- 1 (15 ounce) can sweet whole corn kernels, drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (I used Hunts Sweet Onion)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 4½ cups chicken broth, save 1 cup of this for later
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 small serrano pepper, de-seeded, de-veined, and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- sour cream for topping if desired
- Colby/Monterey Jack Cheese Mix, shredded
- 1 (3.5 ounce) bag Tri-Color Tortilla strips
- Sprinkle thawed chicken with some of the cayenne pepper and garlic salt. You will add the remaining cayenne and garlic salt to the crockpot with other ingredients.
- Add corn, tomatoes, black beans, 3½ cups chicken broth, chicken, onion, serrano pepper and spices to crockpot. Stir well, mixing completely.
- Using the remaining 1 cup of chicken broth, add the corn starch and mix well. Add into crockpot and mix well.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- One hour before cooking time is up, remove chicken breasts and shred. Place back in crockpot, mixing well. The shredded chicken will then have time to soak all the delicious-ness!
- Serve hot topped with sour cream, cheese and tortilla strips.