- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 3-5lb pour quality beef roast.
- 4 carrots
- 3 ribs celery
- 1 onion
- 1 beer
- 1 shot sherry vinegar (optional)
- herb de province or seasonings of your choice
- Get out your crock-pot and turn it on high. Heat a large skillet on medium-high, add olive oil. Season the roast with salt and pepper. Once the skillet is very hot brown the roast for about 2 minutes on all sides. This will be sizzling loud, if things start to smoke, turn down the pan.
- As you brown the roast, prep and cut the carrots, celery, onion, and garlic into large hunk pieces.
- Place the browned roast in the crock, add the veggies. Pour one whole beer into the skillet to deglaze it (stir a little bit to get any bits off of the pan bottom), and then pour it into the crock. Add some salt, pepper, herb de province, sherry vinegar (optional) or any other spices you like. Cover and cook for 4 or more hours on high.
- Don't wash the skillet. You can use your already used skillet, to make the gravy.
- Once the roast is done (it should be almost falling apart) take it out of the crock and put it on a plate to rest.
- Heat your skillet back up; add a couple pats of butter. Melt. Add a handful of flour. Brown the flour. Add several ladles full of the juice from the crock. Stir over medium heat until the gravy thickens. Season with salt and pepper if you need to.
- Slice up the roast, pour the gravy over it, and salvage any carrots that are still together. The celery has probably fallen apart.
- I made this with baking powder biscuits and broccoli rabe, which I steamed in chicken stock with a couple of cloves of garlic.
NotesI made this yesterday as last hurrah to winter cooking. And also because I had a roast in my freezer that I needed to use before it got any older. I used a sirloin tip roast, but any beef roast would be fine especially one that might get tough if you just roasted it in an oven. My husband liked it enough to do all the of the clean up himself!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
St.George YMCA-YWCA Before and After School Cookbook
KITCHEN CAUCUS Conservative Creations
Growers' Giveback PotluckSee More
Ensalada Tibia con Nueces
Bibi's Cheese FlanSee More