- Cooking Time: 15-20 min
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 15 min
- Mustard for 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices French Bread, ~ 1/2 in thick
- Gruyere for 2 sandwiches
- 2 thin slices Red Onion, rings separated
- 6 leaves Fresh Basil
- 6 thin slices Roma Tomato
- 1/2 cup low-fat Milk
- 1 large Egg White
- Preheat oven to 450º. Grease baking sheet.
- Spread mustard over 2 bread slices.
- Top the 2 slices with cheese, onions, basil leaves, and tomato slices. Season w/ S & P. Top w/ remaining 2 bread slices.
- Whisk together milk & egg white in shallow dish. Season w/ S & P.
- Soak both sides of sandwiches in milk/egg mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer sandwiches to prepared backing sheet.
- Bake 10 min on each side or until golden brown.
NotesThis sandwich would cost a ton of money (and taste half as good) at a fancy deli. It's crazy-delicious and, as an added bonus, vegetarian! Also, you bake the sandwich instead of frying it, so it's more healthy than your average croque. I serve mine with leek & potato soup. I hope its excellence makes your life a better place.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Girl Scout Campfire Cookbook Troop 60252
Lau Family RecipesSee More
Almond or Oat Milk
Roasted Rack Of Lamb Persillade
Nathan M’s German Apple Pancakes, modified from Emeril's “There’s a Chef in My World” Cook bookSee More