- Cooking Time: 15-20 min
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 15 min
- Mustard for 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices French Bread, ~ 1/2 in thick
- Gruyere for 2 sandwiches
- 2 thin slices Red Onion, rings separated
- 6 leaves Fresh Basil
- 6 thin slices Roma Tomato
- 1/2 cup low-fat Milk
- 1 large Egg White
- Preheat oven to 450º. Grease baking sheet.
- Spread mustard over 2 bread slices.
- Top the 2 slices with cheese, onions, basil leaves, and tomato slices. Season w/ S & P. Top w/ remaining 2 bread slices.
- Whisk together milk & egg white in shallow dish. Season w/ S & P.
- Soak both sides of sandwiches in milk/egg mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer sandwiches to prepared backing sheet.
- Bake 10 min on each side or until golden brown.
NotesThis sandwich would cost a ton of money (and taste half as good) at a fancy deli. It's crazy-delicious and, as an added bonus, vegetarian! Also, you bake the sandwich instead of frying it, so it's more healthy than your average croque. I serve mine with leek & potato soup. I hope its excellence makes your life a better place.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSW
TECHmunch Austin 2013 Food Blogger Community Cookbook
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 1 Mains and AppetisersSee More
Thigh and Drumstick Cacciatore
Grilled Chicken and Orange Skewers
Chocolate PavlovaSee More