- Cooking Time: 15-20 min
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 15 min
- Mustard for 2 sandwiches
- 4 slices French Bread, ~ 1/2 in thick
- Gruyere for 2 sandwiches
- 2 thin slices Red Onion, rings separated
- 6 leaves Fresh Basil
- 6 thin slices Roma Tomato
- 1/2 cup low-fat Milk
- 1 large Egg White
- Preheat oven to 450º. Grease baking sheet.
- Spread mustard over 2 bread slices.
- Top the 2 slices with cheese, onions, basil leaves, and tomato slices. Season w/ S & P. Top w/ remaining 2 bread slices.
- Whisk together milk & egg white in shallow dish. Season w/ S & P.
- Soak both sides of sandwiches in milk/egg mixture until liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer sandwiches to prepared backing sheet.
- Bake 10 min on each side or until golden brown.
NotesThis sandwich would cost a ton of money (and taste half as good) at a fancy deli. It's crazy-delicious and, as an added bonus, vegetarian! Also, you bake the sandwich instead of frying it, so it's more healthy than your average croque. I serve mine with leek & potato soup. I hope its excellence makes your life a better place.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eating for a Look Good Naked Fitness Life - time to feel good in your own skin
Angel Acres Christmas Dinner Cookbook!
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Soft Pumpkin Cookies with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Hot 'n Beefy Stuffed Pepper
Ginger Peach Upside Down CakeSee More