- Cooking Time: 10
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 15
- 8 slices fresh bread –French bread if possible – crusts removed
- 4 slices baked ham or jambon de Paris
- 8 slices Gruyère cheese
- 4 Tbsp clarified butter
- 2 tsp dijon mustard
- Béchamel Sauce
- 6 Tbsp butter
- ¼ cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 Tsp salt
- Clarified butter has a higher smoke point, which means frying can be done at a higher temperature.
- Melt butter in a heavy saucepan at a low heat.
- Once butter is completely melted, remove from heat.
- After it has cooled for 5 minutes, skim off the foamy top.
- Pour the melted liquid butter into a container and discard solids at the bottom of the pan.
- Assemble four sandwiches using 2 slices of bread, 1 slice of ham and 2 slices of cheese for each sandwich.
- Children can help assemble the sandwiches.
- Spread ½ teaspoon of Dijon mustard on the interior of the bread prior to assembling.
- Brush the outside of the sandwiches with butter.
- In a non-stick fry pan, add the clarified butter and sauté the sandwiches over medium heat.
- Cook each side until golden brown – approximately 2.5 minutes.
- Béchamel Sauce
- Melt the butter and add the salt.
- Add the flour, a little at a time, while constantly stirring with a whisk. Slowly add the milk, while continuing to whisk.
- Sauce will thicken.
- Do not boil.
- Remove sauce from heat and pour several tablespoons over sandwich.
- Place in broiler for 3- 5 minutes.
NotesThe basic croque monsieur recipe is a grilled ham and cheese sandwich, with a crispy, crunchy exterior. The sandwich is aptly named; the french verb croquer, means “to crunch” and Monsieur means Mister. A variation is the croque madame (Mrs.), which is topped with a fried egg.
Learn more - visit our website :http://www.fun-french-and-spanish.com/croque-monsieur-recipe.html
Science 8 is Cooking with Chemistry!
Get Back in the Kitchen! Easy Healthy Meals for the Non-Chef by Kathy and Andrew Judson
Recipes Worth Counter Surfing For - Vizsla Owners Best Loved RecipesSee More
Michoacan Style Carnitas Recipe
Toasted Coconut WafersSee More