- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 18
- Preparation Time:
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 18 paper liners
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temp, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup plus 2 TBS sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries or raspberries or 1 1/2 cups nuts, toasted and finely chopped.
- To make the streusel, in a large bowl,stir together melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt until well combined.
- Stir in flour until smooth.
- Mixture should clump and form crumbs when squeezed between fingertips. Set aside.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F.
- Place paper liners in wells of one 12-cup and one 6-cup cupcake tin.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a small bowl to aerate and combine; set aside.
- In a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium high speed, beat butter until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Add sugar gradually beating until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes, scraping down the bowl once or twice.
- Beat in extracts.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, scraping down after each addition, allowing each egg to be absorbed before continuing.
- Add the flour mixture in 4 additions, alternately with the sour cream. Begin and end with the flour mixture, stopping when there are still a few streaks of flour.
- Fold in the fruit and/or nuts, if using, until just combined.
- Divide batter evenly among cupcake wells.
- Place generous amount of streusel on top of each cupcake, using fingers to compress it into crumbs and to scatter it evenly.
- Bake for about 22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center shows a few moist crumbs.
- Cool pans on rack for 5 minutes, then remove cupcakes to cooling racks to cool completely.
- Tip: If you leave out the fruit/nuts, begin checking for doneness after 18 minutes.
NotesI found this recipe in A Baker's Field Guide to Cupcakes. Can't wait to try.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Super Buddies Homemade Doggie Treats
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. Welch
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Steak with red onion relish
Merry Christmas CookiesSee More