- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 12
- Preparation Time: 15
- For the topping:
- 1/2 c. rolled oats
- 1/4 c. packed light-brown sugar
- 2 TBSP finely chopped candied ginger
- 1 TBSP all-purpose flour
- 1 TBSP whole-wheat flour
- 2 TBSP unsalted butter, melted
- For the muffins:
- 1 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c. whole-wheat flour
- 1 TBSP sugar
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. nonfat buttermilk
- 1/2 c. unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 c. canola oil
- 2 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- baking or cooking spray
- 1. In a medium bowl, make the topping by combining oats, brown sugar, ginger, flours, and melted butter. Stir until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a twelve-cup muffin tin with cooking or baking spray and set aside.
- 3. To make the muffins, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ground ginger, and salt in a large mixing bowl, and stir to combine.
- 4. Pour buttermilk, applesauce, and oil in a medium bowl, and whisk to combine. Stir into flour mixture until well combined.
- 5. Fold egg whites into the batter.
- 6. Fill each muffin cup 2/3 full. (I used a standard-sized scoop.) Sprinkle with a generous tablespoon of reserved topping, pressing gently to adhere topping to cake.
- 7. Bake until a cake tester comes out clean, about 25 minutes. Cool in the pan one a wire rack for 15 minutes before serving.
NotesI was craving a sweet breakfast, but I didn't want one breakfast to undo an entire week's worth of conscientious eating. By making a few simple adjustments, I ended up with a muffin just sweet enough to satisfy my craving.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
BakeSpace's Community Cookbook Live Demonstration at SXSWSee More
Apricot Glazed Chicken Breasts
Blueberry Light MuffinsSee More