- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- Crumb Cake
- For the crumbs
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c dark brown sugar
- 3/4 t cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 1 3/4 c cake flour
- For the cake
- 1 1/4 c cake flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft and cool, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 egg plus one yolk
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/3 c buttermilk
- Directions for Crumbs
- 1. Mix everything but flour together with wisk.
- 2. Add flour and stir with spatula until it's doughy.
- 3. Set it aside.
- Directions for Cake
- 1. Preheat oven to 325.
- 2. Line 8 inch square pan with parchment and spray it with cooking spary.
- 3. Put all dry stuff into mixer bowl.
- 4. With mixer running on low, add butter one piece at a time.
- 5. When it looks like moist crumbs, kick the mixer up to medium high add all the wet.
- 6. Mix for another minute or so until it's light and fluffy.
- 7. Dump into cake pan. Spread it around evenly with spatula.
- 8. Using your fingers, break the topping into little large pea sized flavor bombs and sprinkle them onto cake. Note: I said 'sprinkle', not 'smash them into cake'.
- 9. Bake for 35 - 40 min or until toothpick test passes.
- 10. Rest for 30 minutes.
- 11. Blast with powdered sugar before serving if that's your style.
NotesI found this recipe on this website. I hope you enjoy it like I did. Add slightly more buttermilk for a moister cake.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Eco-Chefs Kids Culinary Cookbook
Italy or Bust
ES Diversity - Creating Connections through Food Volume 2 Desserts and CakesSee More
Cherry Chip Cheesecake BarsSee More