- Crumb Cake
- For the crumbs
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1/3 c dark brown sugar
- 3/4 t cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and warm
- 1 3/4 c cake flour
- For the cake
- 1 1/4 c cake flour
- 1/2 c sugar
- 1/4 t baking soda
- 1/4 t salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, soft and cool, cut into 6 pieces
- 1 egg plus one yolk
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/3 c buttermilk
Directions for Crumbs
1. Mix everything but flour together with wisk.
2. Add flour and stir with spatula until it's doughy.
3. Set it aside.
Directions for Cake
1. Preheat oven to 325.
2. Line 8 inch square pan with parchment and spray it with cooking spary.
3. Put all dry stuff into mixer bowl.
4. With mixer running on low, add butter one piece at a time.
5. When it looks like moist crumbs, kick the mixer up to medium high add all the wet.
6. Mix for another minute or so until it's light and fluffy.
7. Dump into cake pan. Spread it around evenly with spatula.
8. Using your fingers, break the topping into little large pea sized flavor bombs and sprinkle them onto cake. Note: I said 'sprinkle', not 'smash them into cake'.
9. Bake for 35 - 40 min or until toothpick test passes.
10. Rest for 30 minutes.
11. Blast with powdered sugar before serving if that's your style.