- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 13 X 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar and flour.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside.
- To remaining mixture in large bowl, add baking powder and and salt.
- Using a fork, lightly beat in vanilla, milk and egg.
- Continue beating until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Add in the coconut.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top of batter in pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Carefully spread topping evenly over the top of the batter in pan.
- Bake bars for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bars in pan completely before slicing.
- Cut into 24 bars.
NotesThis is a highly requested bar that I make quite often for my family.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Growers' Giveback Potluck
My Family Cookbook
Paul's Food World Volume 1See More
Paul’s Chicken Marsala Modified from www.allrecipes.com
Smiling Jack SandwichSee More