- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 24
- Preparation Time:
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup unsweetened flaked coconut (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Lightly grease a 13 X 9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the brown sugar and flour.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Remove 1 cup of mixture and set aside.
- To remaining mixture in large bowl, add baking powder and and salt.
- Using a fork, lightly beat in vanilla, milk and egg.
- Continue beating until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Add in the coconut.
- Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over top of batter in pan. Sprinkle with the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Carefully spread topping evenly over the top of the batter in pan.
- Bake bars for 35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool bars in pan completely before slicing.
- Cut into 24 bars.
NotesThis is a highly requested bar that I make quite often for my family.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Babette's Test Kitchen
Get Fit With Good Food!See More
Mochi (sticky sweet rice cakes)
Thai Vegetable Stir Fry
Virgin Pomegranate and Cranberry BellinisSee More