- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 pkg active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (105 to 115°F)
- 1/2 cup lukewarm milk [scalded (180°F), then cooled]
- 1 Tbsp margarine or butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup flour
- Prime the yeast + water + sugar first and set aside.
- Heat the milk 180°F.
- Add all of the other ingredients except for the milk: margarine (melted), flour, egg, salt.
- Then I let it sit for a bit and worked on something else.
- The milk was taking forever to cool so I mixed up what was in the bowl and ended up with a semi-thick cookie-like batter.
- When the milk reached around 123°F, I mixed it in.
- Stirring until I had a thick, smooth kind of pancake batter.
- Cover and let it rise for 45 minutes. (When you take it out it should look alive, ie., bubbly and bigger.)
- Heat oil in big frying pan.
- Grease the pancake rings.
- Set rings in pan.
- Pour about 2 Tbsp batter into each ring using a big ladle.
- Cook until tops form bubbles and bottoms are golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove rings; turn crumpets to brown other sides, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Repeat with rest of batter, greasing rings each time.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
'CHEF' the Film Cookbook: Recipes from El Jefe
The Best of Brock: Celebrating 85 Years of Cooking
Family and Friends Starter CookBookSee More
Roasted Pepper Potato Soup
Oven Crispy FriesSee More