- Servings: 4-8
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 lb. lean ground beef or ground turkey
- 2 medium-ripe tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 small green pepper, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and mashed
- 1/4 cup mild salsa
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. cumin
- 8 six-in. taco shells
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and stir until it softens. Add the ground beef (or ground turkey) and sauté for three minutes.
Add the tomato, green pepper, and garlic. Cook for another three minutes, then lower the heat. Add the salsa, chili powder, and cumin. Simmer for five minutes.
Place all the taco garnishes (chopped tomato, cheese, and lettuce) in separate bowls and place them on the dinner table.
Fill each taco shell with 1/3 of a cup of the beef mixture and line them up on a platter.
Everyone can now top their own taco with piles of their favorite garnishes.