- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI like to keep this on hand in the frig to throw in baked goods.
- 8 oz. ginger root
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 4 3/4 cups water
- Peel ginger and slice in 1/4 inch rounds.
- Place in saucepan with 1/4 cup sugar and 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Drain; return ginger to pan. Add 1/4 cup sugar and 2 cups water.
- Bring to boil. Simmer 10 minutes again.
- Drain; return ginger to pan. Add 1 1/2 cups sugar and 3/4 cups water.
- Bring to simmer, and simmer 5 minutes.
- Take off heat and let cool in syrup 1 hour.
- Without stirring, bring to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Cool again, in syrup for 1 hour.
- Last time:bring to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Spread remaining 1/4 cup sugar on large plate.
- Transfer ginger with slotted spoon to plate and turn them to coat.
- Allow to dry a few hours.