- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
BackstoryI love the simplicity of flavors of this soup. I would change the cooking steps next time though as the eggs didn't get done in 5 minutes and the bread absorbed much of the broth by the time the eggs were done. Next time I would poach the eggs separately then top the bread with the poached egg, ladle the soup on top and serve it immediately.
- 2 Tbs (30 ml) olive oil
- 6-8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15-oz (425 g) can tomatoes with their liquid
- 6 cups (1.5 L) chicken stock or water
- 1 bay (laurel) leaf
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 4-6 thick slices stale French or Italian bread (Dense whole wheat)
- 4-6 eggs
- Heat the oil in a large pot over moderate heat and saute the garlic
- until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook,
- stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes. Add the stock, bay leaf, salt,
- and pepper and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer covered
- for 20 minutes. Place a slice of bread in 4 to 6 individual ovenproof
- dishes and top each with an egg. Ladle the soup over the eggs and
- bread and bake in a preheated 400F (200C) oven for 5 minutes.
- Serves 4 to 6.