Cuban Skirt Steak
* 4 cups water
* 3 cups coarsely chopped fresh cilantro (about 2 large bunches)
* 7 large garlic cloves, peeled
* 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
* 3 tablespoons pickling spice
* 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
* 2 teaspoons ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon salt
* 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
* 8 6-8 oz skirt steaks
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine first nine ingredients in blender.
Puree until mixture is almost smooth.
Arrange steaks in a 15x10x12-inch glass baking dish.
Pour marinade over.
Cover tightly with foil.
Roast in oven 1 hour. Remove dish from oven; uncover and let steaks cool in marinade 2 hours. Cover in refrigerate in marinade overnight.
2. Remove steaks from marinade and pat dry with paper towels.
Sprinkle steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
Pour 1/3 cup vegetable oil into each of 2 heavy large skillets; heat over high heat until oil is very hot.
Add 4 steaks to each skillet and cook until crisp outside, about 3 minutes per side.
Drain briefly on paper towels.
Serve with red-onion mojo and lime slices.
Pairs Well With
This one came from Bon Appetit magazine not too long ago. It's another multi-stage dish, but again it's not hard and can be made almost at leisure. The steaks go great with the accompanying red-onion mojo sauce.