Why I Love This Recipe
A girl at work made these and everyone loved them. I made them a few times since and they are ALWAYS a big hit!
Ingredients You'll Need
1 box cake mix (cook as directed, you can also make a recipe from scratch- I like red velvet because it mixes with the cream cheese well)
1 can cream cheese frosting
Milk Chocolate Candy Melts for the bottoms
Colored Candy Melts (for cupcake top)
Candy Cup Mold
Sprinkles for decoration
1. After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl. (you can use a food processor, I just use two forks)
2. Mix thoroughly with cream cheese frosting.
3. Roll mixture into quarter size balls (make sure they are smaller in diameter than that of your candy mold) and lay on wax paper covered cookie sheet.
4. Chill in the freezer for a few minutes, until they are slightly firm, not frozen. (or you can put the mixture in the fridge and leave it for a few hours then make the balls, I have found this to be easier)
5. Melt chocolate bark and candy melts in microwave per directions on package.
6. Using a spoon or squeeze bottle, fill each mold cavity with a small amount of chocolate. (you kind of have to experiment to get the right amount, definitely less than half full). I do about 2 molds at a time. Place the cake balls in the mold. Carefully push it down until the force causes the chocolate to push up and fill in around the sides of the ball. You may have to experiment with a couple to get the right amount. Stop pushing once the chocolate reaches the top edge.
7. Place the mold tray filled with cupcakes in the freezer for just a few minutes to let the chocolate set. (or the fridge)
8. Remove and then gently push at the bottom of the mold/ pull up on the cake ball top to release from candy mold.
9. Now, holding the bottom of the cupcake, dip the top in another color of melted chocolate.
10. Decorate. (I do this one by one, the melting chocolate hardens rather quickly so it is best to dip the tops and decorate individually, not in groups).
Questions, Comments & Reviews
More Great Recipes: Cupcakes