- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted
- Chocolate chessmen cookies (or wafer cookies)
- Candy pumpkins (I use Jelly Belly)
- Deluxe Grahams chocolate covered graham crackers
- Icing writer
- Cakes: Preheat oven to 350.
- Whisk flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt together in small bowl; set aside.
- In large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour mixture alternately with milk. Beat until smooth.
- Divide batter among cupcake pan with liners.
- Bake 22 minutes.
- Cool in pans for 5 minutes, then remove to cool completely.
- Frosting: In a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Add 1 cup of sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy. Add remaining 3 cups of sugar and the milk. Beat until smooth and creamy. Add vanilla and chocolate. Beat until combined.
- Assembly: Use icing writer to decorate chocolate covered grahams with RIPs and crosses.
- Crush chocolate cookies in a large zip-loc bag until they are the consistency of dirt.
- Frost cupcakes then hold each one over a bowl of the "dirt" and sprinkle generously.
- Insert tombstone.
- Place pumpkin.
- I served mine on a cupcake tree, but I think it would be cool to put them on fake grass of some kind. You know...like a graveyard.
NotesI love Halloween treats and the look of graveyard cakes. This year, I decided to make the graveyard out of cupcakes. This recipe is based on the one in A Baker's Field Guide to Cupcakes by Dede Wilson.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
MidLife Road Trip's
Breads and Pastry 101
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
ICE CREAM IN A MARTINI GLASS RIMMED WITH OREO CRUMBS
Cupcake Wars Winning Peaches 'n Cream Cupcakes
Monkfish Stew in White Wine SauceSee More