CURRIED AUSTRALIAN LAMB CHOPS WITH CAPER AIOLI
- Servings: 4
- For Australian Lamb Chops:
- • 1 tbsp. curry powder
- • 3 tbsp. Dijon mustard
- • 2 tbsp. honey
- • 1/2 tsp. cayenne
- • 4 1/2 tbsp. lemon juice
- • 1 tsp. red wine vinegar
- • 2 tbsp. chopped garlic plus 2 small cloves garlic
- • 1 small red onion, minced
- • 1 cup plus 2 tbsp. canola oil
- • 2 half-racks of lamb, approximately 2 lbs. total weight, split, cut into 16 single-chops each (Ask your butcher to do this).
- • Salt
- For Anchovy Caper Aioli:
- • 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- • 1/2 tbsp. minced anchovies
- • 1/2 tbsp. minced caper
- • 1/4 tbsp. garlic
- • 1/2 tsp. Tabasco
- • 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Put the curry, mustard, honey, cayenne, 3 tbsp. lemon juice, vinegar, and chopped garlic in a bowl and slowly whisk in 1 cup of canola oil to make an emulsified marinade. Put the lamb in a baking dish or other vessel, pour the marinade over the lamb, and toss well to coat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours.
When ready to cook and serve, prepare a grill for grilling.
Remove the chops from the marinade, brushing off any marinade solids. Season the chops with salt and pepper and grill them until nicely charred and cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium, or a bit longer for more well done. Set the chops aside to rest for 5 minutes while you prepare the mayonnaise sauce.
To make aioli, put the mayonnaise, anchovies, capers, garlic, Tabasco, and lemon juice in a bowl and whisk them together. Whisk in some room-temperature water, a few drops at a time to this if desired. (This mayonnaise can be covered and refrigerated for up to 2 days).
Serve sauce alongside chop and enjoy!