- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup to 1 1/2 cups of cauliflower spears, cut to 1-inch pieces
- 3 TBSP butter, divided
- 3 TBSP Vidalia onion, chopped finely
- 1 1/2 TBSP sweet curry powder
- 3 1/2 to 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine, preferably dry
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan/romano cheese blend, plus extra for garnish
- Steam the cauliflower in a small pot for about 3 minutes. Do not cook completely. Meanwhile, in a large skillet (at least 12 inches), heat 2 TBSP of butter over medium high heat. When it starts to froth, add the onion and the half-steamed cauliflower and sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add the curry powder and stir well to coat the onion and cauliflower. Sauté for 2 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring the chicken broth to a bare simmer in a small saucepan. Once it reaches the boiling point, reduce the heat to medium-low.
- Reduce the heat under the skillet to medium, then add the rice to the cauliflower and onion mixture. Stir around for a minute to toast the rice.
- Add the wine. Stir occasionally, until all the liquid has been absorbed by the rice.
- Add 3/4 cup of the hot chicken broth to the rice, and, stir occasionally until all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue adding liquid in 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup amounts, waiting each time until the liquid has been completely absorbed before adding more.
- After about 20 minutes, taste the rice to see if it is tender enough. When the rice is tender, but still retains a slightly chewy texture, stop adding liquid and turn off the heat.
- Stir in 1 TBSP of butter, cheese, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve immediately, with extra grated cheese for garnish.
NotesI was trying to think of novel ways to use my delicious Sweet Curry Powder from Penzey's spices, and I simultaneously had a hankering for some risotto. Add a half-head of cauliflower sitting in the fridge, and I made a magical dish!
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
The Naked Macaron
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & Smoothies
Cooking with THE HOLMES SISTERS Volume 1 "As seen on 3ABN"See More
Louisiana Crabmeat Stuffed Artichoke
Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla SoupSee More