- Cooking Time: 25
- Servings: 6-8
- Preparation Time: 15
- For the Curried Mayonnaise:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ yellow onion, finely chopped (1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder (Madras, if you can find it)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I recommend Hellman’s)
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney or apricot preserves
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- For the Chicken:
- 2 whole boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into 4 halves (about 2 pounds)
- ½ small onion, peeled
- 5 whole pepper corns
- 3 whole cloves
- 1 bay leaf
- To poach the chicken, place breasts in a large deep pot.
- Add cold water to 1 inch above the chicken.
- Add onion, pepper corns, cloves and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Allow chicken to cool in the pot for 15 minutes. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and cut into bite-size cubes.
- Cool chicken in the fridge, covered, until you’re ready to use it.
- Make the Curried Mayonnaise: While the chicken is poaching, heat oil in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and sauté 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until soft (don’t let it brown)
- Add curry powder to the skillet and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- When curry and onions are cooled, mix with mayonnaise, chutney (or preserves), lime juice and salt in a small bowl. (can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to 3 days.
- Toss chicken with curried mayonnaise. Season with salt, to taste. (can be made a day ahead)
NotesThrough my blog, "Panning The Globe", I’ve learned that there’s often a rich history or, at the very least, an interesting story that explains how a particular dish came to be. I traced curried chicken salad back to Queen Elizabeth’s Coronation. They called it “Coronation Chicken…a recipe of cold chicken in a curry cream sauce.” It was invented to feed the 350 foreign dignitaries attending Queen Elizabeth II’s coronation luncheon on June 2,1953. Here's my updated version. For more about this recipe, including a link to the original "coronation chicken" recipe visit "Panning The Globe" http://www.panningtheglobe.com
Submitted by: "Lisa Goldfinger"
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Mr. Ham's Sweet Brown and Red Barbecue Sauce and Other Awesome Recipes
Adventures in Cooking
Recipes in Rotation with Douglas E. WelchSee More
Chinese New Years Sticky Rice Cake
Mushroom Barley Soup
Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla CupcakesSee More