- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1 cake firm tofu (3/4 lb), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups undrained cooked chickpeas (16-oz can)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- pinch of salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is translucent. Stir in cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne. Add cubed tofu and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chickpeas and about 1/2 cup of their liquid, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in brown sugar, if using. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over rice, topped with yogurt if desired.
This recipe is vegan, but obviously if you add yogurt (as I do) it no longer falls under that category. I also add about a tablespoon of brown sugar to the mixture to balance out the flavors, but this is also optional.