CURRIED CHICKPEAS AND TOFU
Curried Chickpeas and Tofu
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1 cake firm tofu (3/4 lb), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups undrained cooked chickpeas (16-oz can)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- pinch of salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is translucent. Stir in cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne. Add cubed tofu and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chickpeas and about 1/2 cup of their liquid, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in brown sugar, if using. Add salt to taste.
Serve over rice, topped with yogurt if desired.
This recipe is vegan, but obviously if you add yogurt (as I do) it no longer falls under that category. I also add about a tablespoon of brown sugar to the mixture to balance out the flavors, but this is also optional.