- Cooking Time:
- Preparation Time:
- 1 med onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced or pressed
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 1 cake firm tofu (3/4 lb), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 cups undrained cooked chickpeas (16-oz can)
- 2 tomatoes, chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- pinch of salt (or to taste)
- 1 tbsp. brown sugar (optional)
- plain yogurt (optional)
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in oil until onion is translucent. Stir in cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, and cayenne. Add cubed tofu and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add chickpeas and about 1/2 cup of their liquid, and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook until thoroughly heated. Stir in brown sugar, if using. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over rice, topped with yogurt if desired.
This recipe is vegan, but obviously if you add yogurt (as I do) it no longer falls under that category. I also add about a tablespoon of brown sugar to the mixture to balance out the flavors, but this is also optional.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Laissez Les Bons Temps Rouler! Delicious Recipes For Any Get Together or Party
Disney's Tinker Bell "Secret of the Wings Cookbook"
Quick Breads, Muffins and Cakes...Oh My!See More
Paula’s Vegetable Beef Chili
Beans And Tomatoes Chili Con CarneSee More