- Cooking Time: 5
- Servings: 36
- Preparation Time: 20
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan (You can substitute butter.)
- 2 tablespoons Madras curry powder (yellow curry)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 10-ounce bag marshmallows
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup unsweetened coconut flakes, lightly toasted
- 1/2 cup cashews, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 5 cups Rice Krispies Cereal
- Lightly grease a 9×13-inch pan with coconut oil.
- In a large saucepan melt 3 tablespoons of coconut oil over low heat. Add curry, salt, and marshmallows and stir until the marshmallows are completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add vanilla, coconut, cashews, and rice cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using lightly oiled hands or waxed paper evenly press the mixture into the prepared pan. Let cool at room temperature.
- Cut into 1-inch squares and serve.
NotesOne night in 2008, one magical night at the Violet Hour, I was reunited with my first love–Rice Krispies Treats. My eyes told me they were the sweet transcendental treats I’d loved as a child, but my mouth filed a very different report. The squares were sweet, crunchy, and slightly chewy exactly as I had remembered them, but these treats were savory with a surprising bit of heat. I immediately reached for another and then another trying to crack the code of flavors that were exploding in my mouth. Curry!
I’ve made and tweaked my version of curried Krispies treats a dozen times since the night they first blew my mind, starting with the recipe that appeared in Food and Wine Magazine shortly after my Violet Hour visit.
For road trips I make these in a 9×9-inch pan and cut them into 3-inch square monster treats. For cocktail parties I use a 9×13-inch pan to create bite-sized squares that are perfect companions for a glass of bubbly. Want to glam them up a bit? Try drizzling the squares with melted white chocolate.