- Cooking Time: 30 minutes
- Servings: 2
- Preparation Time: 5 minutes
BackstoryThis is an incredibly creamy, flavorful, and healthy dish! Serve it over rice or with pita as a meal, or serve alone in small ramekins as an appetizer.
Adapted from How to Cook Everything Vegetarian, page 296
- 1 lb. eggplant (about 2 small eggplants, white, Japanese, whatever!)
- Scant 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- Heaping teaspoon curry paste (I used Pataks Biryani Curry)
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- If your eggplant is nice and firm, you don't need to peel it, otherwise go for it! Cut eggplant into 1/2 inch cubes and toss with salt.
- Heat olive oil in a large, deep skillet.
- Add garlic and curry paste and cook until fragrant, about a minute.
- Add eggplant and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes, until eggplant begins to release some of the absorbed oil.
- Continue to cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes. (As Mark notes, this time may vary depending on your eggplant, so keep an eye on it.)
- Stir in coconut milk and cook another 10 minutes until eggplant is very soft. Adjust seasoning if needed. Serve over rice or with pita, garnished with chopped cilantro.