- Cooking Time: 55
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 10
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans solid-pack pumpkin (3 1/2 cups, not pie filling)
- 7 cups water
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth (12 fl oz)
- 1 (14 ounce) can unsweetened coconut milk (not low-fat)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 8 fresh curry leaves
- 1. Cook onions in butter in a wide 6-quart heavy pot over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- 2. Add garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 3. Add cumin, coriander, and cardamom and cook, stirring, 1 minute.
- 4. Stir in salt, red pepper flakes, pumpkin, water, broth, and coconut milk and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.
- 5. Purée soup in batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), transferring to a large bowl, and return soup to pot.
- 6. Keep soup warm over low heat.
- 7. Heat oil in a small heavy skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking, then cook mustard seeds until they begin to pop, about 15 seconds.
- 8. Add curry leaves and cook 5 seconds, then pour mixture into pumpkin soup.
- 9. Stir until combined well and season soup with salt.
- 10. Soup can be thinned with additional water.
- Can be made day ahead.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
GAES PTO Recipes
$30 Wine+Food Pairings
Favourites from Ana's Romanian KitchenSee More
Pineapple-Black Bean Enchiladas
Mascarpone Brownies With Honey Chocolate Sauce
Chicken RollupsSee More