- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 8
- Preparation Time: 35 min
- 1 can (19 ounces) chickpeas, drained, or 2 cups cooked chickpeas, divided
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, divided
- 2 cups 1/2-inch cubes white potatoes or butternut squash
- 2 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) unsalted stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 2-3 teaspoons curry paste
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) green peas
- Place 1/2 cup of the chickpeas and 1/2 cup of the broth in a blender, and process until smooth. Set aside.
- Place the remaining chickpeas, the remaining broth, and the potatoes or squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, tomatoes with their juice, and curry paste in a 3-quart pot, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes, or until the potatoes or squash and the cauliflower are tender.
- Add the peas and the chickpea-broth mixture to the pot, and stir to mix. Cover and simmer for 5 to 10 additional minutes, or until the mixture is heated through and the flavors are well blended. Serve hot, ladling the stew over whole wheat couscous, brown rice, or pasta, if desired.