- Cooking Time: 6-8 hours
- Servings: 6-10
- Preparation Time: 20 min
- 2-3 lbs. ~1 kilo chicken thighs, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp. 28 grams coconut oil
- 2 453 mL veggie or meat broth
- 2 white, yellow or red onions, chopped
- 2-4 carrots, coined or diagonally coined
- 1-2 lbs. ~1/2 kilo potatoes, chunked
- 6-8 mushrooms, brown or white, thickly sliced
- 2-4 tbsp. 28-56 grams yellow curry powder
- 1 can 400ml coconut milk
- 1 red pepper
- 1-2 zucchini
- 2-4 tbsp. Thickener: cornstarch/arrowroot powder/potato starch
- On the stovetop, brown most sides of you cubed chicken in the coconut oil. You don’t have to precook your meat when using a crockpot, but it cuts down on cooking time and seals in the meat, giving it a more appetizing appearance. Remove the chicken chunks and place in your crockpot, sauté at least half of the onions in the remaining oil, once transparent or slightly caramelized, add your curry powder. Stir well. Add your broth to help remove all of the flavor from the pan while pouring into the crockpot. Now add your carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, and perhaps red pepper/zucchini. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. If you add the coconut milk in the last hour, it should not separate.
- My father prefers a more liquid curry, for ladling on to a bowl of rice. I prefer a thicker more gravy like curry that can top rice or stand alone. To thicken: add your 2-4 tbsp. of thickener to equal parts COLD water, then mix into your warm sauce. This will prevents gross lumps.
- For appearance sake: serve with something green, chopped basil, a few springs cilantro, green onion.
NotesIn my late 20’s I moved back in with my Dad for a few years. Sometimes he would forget to make time to eat or cook. So I made a point to make a big pot of curry so that he would always have something to heat up when he had time.
Holiday Meal Planning
Wine Pairing Chat
Cupcake Recipes: Allison Robicelli Cupcake Chat
Gluten-Free and Delicious
Gluten-Free - Making do with what you got!
Healthy Blender Recipes: Vegan Drinks, Shakes & SmoothiesSee More
Salmon & Spinach Pesto Pasta
Antipasto for Kids (Gluten-Free)See More