- Cooking Time:
- Servings: 16
- Preparation Time: 45 to 50
BackstoryFor some reason I'm on a cheesecake fix lately - I just found this one as I was reading the Wichita Eagle. It sounded so yummy!
*NOTE: I got an email from LEE today with a suggestion and thought I'd share it with anyone who wants to make this recipe.
"I do have a hint for the springform pan - cover the insert bottom with foil then assemble the pan. I find this prevents leaks in and out. Makes a very secure seal." -Lee
NOTE: I just got an email from John & he recommended: "I might suggest wrapping the springform pan in foil on the outside though. They are notorious for letting water in through the bottom." (Sounds good to me!)
- 1 3/4 cups dark chocolate chunks (preferably at least 53 percent cacao), divided use (I'm not sure what this means)
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided use
- 1/4 cup ( 1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 3 pkgs. (8 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Microwave 1 1/4 cups chunks in small, uncovered microwave-safe bowl on high for 1 minute; stir until just smooth.
- If necessary, microwave in additional 10- to 15-second intervals. Cool to room temperature.
- Combine crumbs, 2 tablespoons sugar and butter in 9-inch springform pan. Stir until blended. Press on bottom and 1 inch up side of pan.
- Beat cream, remaining 1 cup sugar, sour cream and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in melted chocolate until blended.
- Pour onto crust. Place pan in large roasting pan; fill roasting pan with hot water to 1-inch depth.
- Bake 45 to 50 minutes or until edges are set but center still moves slightly.
- Remove cheesecake from water bath to wire rack. Run knife around edge of cheesecake.
- Refrigerate 1 hour; remove side of springform pan.
- Microwave remaining chunks and whipping cream on high for 1 to 2 minutes; stir until just smooth.
- Cool for 5 minutes, then spread over cheesecake.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.